Tuesday, November 22, 2011

BYOB

BYOB stands for Bring Your Own Background. Today I started with a piece of plain ivory c/s and created my own designer paper to go with the beautiful ornament stamp by HFC. I knew I wanted the main colours to be pale pink and burgundy, and that I would be using gold EP but I do not have any ink here in the burgundy range so I had to add brown to the colour scheme.

I sponged some pale pink versamagic ink onto the c/s, then randomly stamped brown ink onto the following stamps; pinebranches are from Stamp-a-mania; 'Joy' is from a Stampendous jumbo set, and words and scroll are from a set by Cloud 9. Joy, as you can see, was stamped in versamark (not brown) and embossed with gold EP.

I matted this collaged layer with some wonderful crinkled paper by HOTP. Because I tend to be very stingy with these expensive papers, I cut a rectangle from the middle before mounting the DP on it. I added a 3/4" strip of burgundy velvet paper by The Paper Company . Then I adhered the whole thing to an ivory card base.


Now it was time to make the ornaments. I stamped all three with versamark on ivory c/s and heat embossed with gold. Then I sponged the same pale pink ink onto them, avoiding the poinsettias on the two largest. I coloured the poinsettia on the middle one with a burgundy marker. I remembered about this as a source of ink after I had finished the b/g paper. The ornaments were all hand cut and set aside.

I stamped the two middle poinsettias (from HFC's petite poinsettia stamp set) on the velvet paper with versamark ink and embossed with gold. I was a little leery about how this would work but it came out just fine. After more hand cutting the blossoms, I attached them to the largest ornament with glue dots. This ornament was then put on the card with dimensionals.


The inside is another 3/4" strip of velvet paper and the two smaller ornaments.

The final step was some dots in the centre of the velvet poinsettia on the front with cream coloured Viva pearl pen, and a small bow made from a scrap in my stash.

I am quite pleased with the outcome. It is exactly what I had in mind. I think I will be leaving this card at the here condo for our friends who arrive from Germany in December for a stay.




No comments:

Post a Comment