Monday, November 25, 2013

More Velvet

Yes, today I am working again with the same HOTP burgundy velvet paper. I really do like this paper for Christmas cards. It makes for such a soft warm finish and reminds me of my favorite  velvet Christmas dresses when I was growing up in the 50's and early 60's. What can I say.

It comes in lots of colours too, and I plan to do some posts using some of the other colours. I did pick up a few sheets when it was on sale at Joann's.

This cards is a CASE of a card that appears on the HFC website. I loved it the minute I saw it, and knew I would get around to making it sooner or later.



There are, of course, a few deviations to allow for the supplies I had on hand, beginning with the background paper. I did not have the same b/g stamp to create the collage effect, so I grabbed a bunch of different Christmas greetings from various sets, inked them up with Brilliance pearlescent poppy ink, stamped them off once for a more subtle effect and stamped them randomly on a piece of paper from HFC's  Frosty Blanket collection. I also added the same ink randomly to Justrite's b/g stamp, Christmas Holly Stripes, and stamped it on the same collage piece. Use Brilliance platinum beige ink and sponge the edges.

Stamp the Christmas poinsettia on ivory c/s with ink, then cut out the second and third largest blooms with the matching Sun Kissed Fleur die. Sponge them with Brilliance poppy and beige inks, shape them and put them together with a gold pearl brad (Elements  - American Crafts). Stamp the branch from the Holly Berry stamp set using Ancient Page black ink, and cut it out using the Ornamental Add On die. All of these stamps and dies are from HFC. Sponge on Brilliance poppy and VersaMagic Pesto inks.

Cut the velvet paper with the Spellbinders Scallop borders die and attach to the collage piece.

Stamp the middle two circle sentiments from the Christmas Circle Sentiments stamp set (HFC) using the Brilliance poppy ink, sponge the edges with Brilliance beige, then fussy cut them out. Layer the smaller one on the collage side of the front panel. Add the holly branch with glue, then the poinsettia on that with a large glue dot.  Finally attach the remaining circle sentiment to the velvet side of the panel, slipping it under the edge of the blossom. Now attach the panel to a card base and finish the inside.

I had already signed this card and had it in an envelope, ready to mail when I remembered I wanted to take pictures, so I am not showing the inside off this time.

I recommend checking out the HFC site for some fabulous ideas. If you find them too elaborate for your tastes, you can always simplify, but it is a great starting place

I hope by now you all have a good start on your Christmas cards. I am finished except for a few individual ones I want to make for family. I even made some cards for my husband to use in his business, as well as a dozen for my neighbour.

Tomorrow I will show you a card I made for some one very special. See you then.






No comments:

Post a Comment