Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Just Cork It

I spent a lot of time surfing the internet one day and came across a card that really inspired me. Foolishly, I did not tag the site or otherwise make note. Now, I wish I could remember the blog where I got the inspiration for this card so that I could acknowledge the talent. If anyone knows to whom I am referring, please leave a note below and I will be sure to add the information to my post.

The main thing that caught my eye was the cork that was used. As soon as I saw it, I knew that was what I wanted to incorporate into this card for my son's birthday card.



The mystery card used some of the new printed cork card stock from DCWV. I had some plain cork c/s here and decided to add my own pattern to it. I pulled out a couple of layering stencils from Stampers Anonymous (Harlequin and Clockworks) and sponged on 3 colors of Ranger distress inks to create the pattern on the cork and inside the card. Then I used the darkest ink color (Walnut Stain) and sponged the outer edges to distress the panel.



I stamped the greeting on some more cork, die cut the label, and sponged on some more ink while the label was still in the die. From a different color of cork c/s, I die cut a mat and distressed the edges of both with Walnut Stain ink.



I decided I needed something lighter to pop the label, so I found some mottled beige c/s that I have had in my stash for years (decades even), traced on it with a pencil around the largest die, then hand cut  the label and distressed the edges with the medium ink color (Vintage Photo).



Finally, the ribbon is from SU and I sponged on some Rusty Hinge ink to soften the starkness of the ivory. An SU large bronze brad and Ideaology pin holds it all together. I added that and the Tim Holtz elements to the label, and used foam tape to attach it all to the card front.



















I lam pleased with how this card turned out. Very testosterone. Thanks to my mystery inspirational artist. And to my boy, who is an amazing son, husband, father, and telecommunications expert, I send a big Happy Birthday. Love ya kiddo.

Stamps: JRS Grand Birthday Sentiments
Papers: Recollections ivory card base; natural and rust colored  cork c/s - unknown; mottled beige c/s REALLY unknown!
Inks: Tim Holtz Ranger Distress Walnut Stain, Rusty Hinge,  Vintage Photo
Dies: JRS Vintage Labels and Banners
Other: SU brown and ivory striped ribbon; Tim Holtz for  Ideaology metal findings; SU large metal bronze brad; Tim  Holtz for Stampers Anonymous layering stencils Harlequin and  Clockworks.








3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for leaving me such a wonderful comment on my blog today. I thought I would come by and check out your work and I am so glad I did! I love this card as I have such a hard time with masculine themes. I am sure your son loved it. I took a peek at some of your other creations and you are very talented! I hope you have a wonderful day. Thanks for brightening mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great card and textured, hope to see you around soon
    Hugs from California Bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is impressive! I love it!

    ReplyDelete